From Talleres MAF, a machining workshop in Barcelona, we explain to you: what is serial machining? and its advantages.
Machining is a procedure widely used in industry. Through various operations carried out on a piece of raw material, parts of this material are removed until the desired shape of the final part is achieved. In this way, a finished product is obtained, the machined part, which can be a final product in itself or can be used for the assembly of other products.
The machining process can be carried out in series thanks to the automation of the process. Thanks to this serial process, we can achieve greater process efficiency.
In serial machining, new technologies are applied to increase the machining speed and create high quality parts with a perfect finish.
Like any process, serial machining has its pros and cons.
In this blog article we will look at the main advantages and disadvantages of serial machining.
Advantages of serial machining
- The automation process allows a rigorous control of the entire manufacturing process without the need for human intervention.
- It is a more economical process, as it does not require intensive manual labour, but the machining process is automated.
- It is a faster and more productive process, as downtime is reduced. This also results in lower costs and higher profits for the company.
- It allows the manufacture of all types of parts and the application of all types of operations on the raw part until the final machined part is obtained.
- It is a process that can be programmed precisely and very efficiently, reducing the cost of defective parts.
- It allows very uniform parts to be obtained.
- The process can be adapted to the needs of each case as it is 100% automated.
- Costs are significantly reduced due to the use of additional tools, as everything is carried out in series.
Disadvantages of serial machining
- This type of process requires a very large initial investment for the purchase of the machinery and technology necessary to carry out the automation process.
- The machinery used in serial processes is very specialised, so only one type of operation can be performed. For example, if it is a drill, it cannot perform milling. This is not the case with an operator, who is able to perform any of the machining operations using the right tools.
- From the point of view of unemployment, serial machining reduces the need to hire operators, thus increasing unemployment.
Now you know: what is serial machining?. At Talleres MAF we specialise in machining in Barcelona, and in a personalised way. If you need the best for your parts, contact our team and we will be happy to help you. We are waiting for you!